Favourite Photos...

Favourite Photos...
Reading Lines GP35 #3647

Saturday, 16 June 2012

The joys of Kit Bashing & Scratch Building Structures...


Well the other day I altered the design of the first industry on the L&T Branch, I decided to change the width of the modulars on the left hand side to allow for cars to be spotted on the spur better.
When I altered the position of the left hand side of the building I placed it on a 30 - 45 degree angle, this was to help hide the access hole edge.  But by doing so I also had to get creative with the modular parapet and some way of maintaining the angle.
Shot showing the angle of the walls for the left hand side...
I started by placing this section on the layout with the tabs locked in as they are, I then marked the cork subbed with a marker to maintain the angle.  I carefully placed a few small dabs of CA onto the bottom, middle & top tabs to lock them and the angle in place.  Once the piece had cured I then made up some small Plastruct supports that would be glued internally to support the two walls and maintain angle.
Shot showing the two support braces glued in, supporting the two walls, and maintaining the angle...
Next I had to alter the modular parapet wall so that I was able to obtain the right angle of the walls.  I place the structure onto the workbench and marked the angle onto a piece of paper with a marker.  I then used a piece of course drywall sanding block paper to sand down the parapet to the right angle.
Showing the angle sanded into the modular parapet...
Once the angle was correct I then had to file down ledge on the bottom that supports the modular roof sections, this allowed the parapet to sit correctly on the modular wall.
Then once both parapets had the correct angle they were glued with CA to the section.  The only downside of the modulars is that sometimes the fit can be hard to get right.  But once undercoated, final brick colour and weathering are added it will be hard to pick up the little gaps in some sections.
The completed parapets glued into position...
One trick that can be employed with the modular wall sections is to use Plastruct strips as decorative ledges.  The corner section on the two walls normally has a 90 degree brick section covering each wall panel.  To cover this I will be adding 5mm Plastruct strips that will be concrete columns, this will help strengthen the entire structure and also hide the corner join completely.
Another method that can also be employed is to use round or square Plastruct strips as downspouts or service pipe runs to hide seams & joins.
Shot showing the completed piece in place against the Walthers kit...
The next step is the finish off the small pieces that have to be blended into the Walther's kit on both sides.  Then it will be a matter of hiding the kit seams, adding the concrete column strips to the left side.
The right side was fairly straight forward, and is more of the modular wall sections.  The backdrop return had to be cut down which only requires a few score lines with a Exacto knife to snap the excess wall off.  Some care does need to be taken if the score line is close to a wall or door as it can damage these pieces.
The right had side of the industry is going to be a loading/unloading area for heavy vehicles...
More to come over the next few days as I progress on the build.
Jas...

No comments:

Post a Comment