Favourite Photos...

Favourite Photos...
Reading Lines GP35 #3647

Thursday, 3 January 2013

Scratch building a Crossing - Part 1...


Part 1...
The angle that the crossing intersects with the JL&T module line was not going to work with a pre made 90 degree crossing.  So I started the scratch build last night, and have made the basic form of the crossing.
I first placed a piece of sheet styrene under the section of rail that the crossing would go, I then marked the rail alignment onto the styrene, and then added the intersecting new section and marked that onto the styrene, this then gave me the template to work from.
I then used the PECO Code 83 ties as the guide to hold the rail while I cut the rails to fit, this also included filing down the outside rail bottom so that the other section of rail finished flush with the other rail and allowed it to be soldered.
Once the crossing was soldered and secured it was time for a test fit...
The new crossing next to existing L&T branch crossing (90 degree PECO Code 83)...

Overview shot of the new siding, turnout & crossing...
The plan is to next glue the ties onto a thin sheet of styrene to lock in the configuration and keep the track in alignment and gauge.  Then I will glue the rails in place onto the ties and spike too, once this is done I will use a Dremel tool to cut the gaps in the rails to isolate each section.
At this stage everything is hinging on the rail staying secured to the ties after I cut all the gaps, I will add some small angle braces made from brass and solder these on once the electrical isolation gaps are cut in.  I have already ran a few pieces of rolling stock & locomotives over it and they all went through with passing colours.
Jas...

No comments:

Post a Comment