Favourite Photos...

Favourite Photos...
Reading Lines GP35 #3647

Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Proto 2000 RDG GP7 - LokSound Install...

Today was a typical cold & wet Melbourne day, so time for decoder installs...

I continued on with the install of the LokSound - Select Direct decoder into the Proto 2000 RDG - GP7.  I had to cut out and Dremel several sections of the weight so that i could install the decoder.


You can see the section that have been taken out using the Dremel tool by the shiny surface.


The Select Direct - Decoder required clearance underneath the solder tabs so that they wouldn't short out on the frame.


The speaker was going to be mounted just in front of the decoder and right behind the cab but there wasn't enough room so it will mounted underneath the cab roof.

You can see the sections cut out underneath the solder tabs on the decoder.


The decoder wired and installed, it was at this stage when I went to program the decoder that I realised it was faulty and the sound amplifier isn't working...


Jas...

Saturday, 27 May 2017

More Conversions to LokSound Decoders...

So as a little project to get back into the layout after a a break for about the last month I decided to install some more LokSound - Select Direct decoders in my non-sound locomotives.

The first project was a Athearn - RDG RS3 #445.  


These are quite tight and I thought the install would be close, and it was.  Just a little tight to fit the Select-Direct in, I've ordered a Select - Micro which should work perfectly.  The RS3 will get used as a switcher for yard work at Rutherford...

LokSound - Select Micro

The next project for the day was a Atlas Silver Series - RDG MP15DC switcher.  I have previously done the Gold (QSI) version of these so this one took me about 30 minutes to convert.  


The LokSound - Select Direct fits perfectly into these and they sound awesome, being an Atlas these are super smooth at slow speeds too.  The programming of the sound files and altering of the horns and motor control is a breeze with the LokProgrammer too...

Once the programming was finished I consisted it with its sibling RDG #2772 for some yard work at Rutherford...


Last unit for the day was a Proto2000 - RDG GP7, this one is still ongoing as I have to Dremel out a fair section of the weight to get both the Select Direct and cube speaker into the shell area.  When finished all of upgrades get Kadee #158 whisker couplers too...


As you can see I've already removed a fair section of the weight towards the back, these units also get upgraded to LED lighting too.

More soon.

Jas...

Sunday, 14 May 2017

Back into signals again...

So I've had a little timeout from the layout over the last few weeks.  Two weeks with school holidays, and some extra projects around the house before winter sets in.

But I have managed to get a day or two on the layout and have continued on with the signal installs.  I'm slowly working my way around the layout and had to install some more G Type heads onto a mast.

I have the Tomar brass masts but I've never been happy with the green, yellow or red that the 1.5mm LED's produce.  I found a replacement 1.5mm one that had much better colours so decided to convert these into the G Type plastic IHC heads and mount them onto the Tomar brass masts.


The IHC heads have small plastic tabs that can be adapted to clip onto the brass mast post easily.  The brass tube will take the eight (8) small 0.5mm wires for both heads.


The mast above was placed onto the mainline heading out of Hershey into Manheim Junction and is paired with a double head dwarf on the passing siding track to the south.



More soon...

Jas.