Favourite Photos...

Favourite Photos...
Reading Lines GP35 #3647

Middletown, Pa

Wednesday 17 April 2013

L&T Branch - Photo Backdrops...


Hi everyone, as part of my progression with the scenery on the L&T Branch I have started playing around with photo backdrops for the entrance to the L&T.
Over the last few days I have been scouring the internet looking for all manner of photos of industrial, commercial & residential areas to use as photo realistic backdrops.  The method I have been using is to take a photo of the area on the layout viewed from its most common angle, then on Pixelmator (OSX equivalent of Photoshop) I have been placing the backdrop photo into the actual layout scene.
One of the great outcomes is that I can play around blending the actual layout into the photo backdrop, cropping & editing all manner of things.  I can also quickly print off a rough colour copy at home, place it onto the layout and check the viewing angle and composition before getting a good quality print done.
I must say that I thought things start looking really good when scenery starts, but it look amazing when combined with a photo backdrop!
Anyhow here a few comparison shots of two areas I have been working on, the photo on the left is the original layout photo, and to the right is with the photo backdrop added and blended in.
These photos are to the right of the entrance to the L&T branch, this should be an interesting test as the backdrop here curves...
 
The next two photos are to the left of the L&T entrance and will sit behind the existing JL&T module...
 
And a slightly different angle, and different structure to finish...
 
More to follow soon as I progress and start some test printing.
Jas...

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. It really makes the scenes pop! Nice color match with the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg, it really does look amazing when the photo backdrops are added, I just hope they look as good when I get them printed out and place them on the real layout.

    Jas...

    ReplyDelete