Favourite Photos...

Favourite Photos...
Reading Lines GP35 #3647

Middletown, Pa

Saturday 28 February 2015

My very first Ops Session...

Things have been a little quiet on the layout front at the moment as we are doing renovations to our home which are taking up most of my spare time, so its basically ground to halt.

However I did get the opportunity last weekend to participate in my very first Ops Session outside of our own layout.  My good friend Brendan Dennis held another shake down session on his D&H - N Scale layout - http://dh2ndsub.blogspot.com.au

I had the opportunity to operate on the Whitehall Yard with another operator John, we were tasked with the North & South switching of the yard operations.  I must say being a yard master is great fun and really gets you thinking, Brendan's Whitehall Yard is around 3m (10') long incorporating an engine facility, yard leads, run arounds, caboose tracks, seven (7) tracks and a passenger siding to the south.


I really enjoyed operating the yard with John, and the session went really well, Brendan's layout is seriously impressive and the amount of work and the stage he is at presently is amazing for the short time that he has been working on it.

As I won't have a full size ladder yard on the JL&T I look forward to spending some time switching Whitehall in the future.  

Big thanks to Brendan for the invite, and for a great insight into Ops Sessions!

Jas...

2 comments:

  1. Jas, your welcome any time. The ops session we had was basic as I dont yet have waybills for the cards. Things will heat up and the pressure will be on in Whitehall next time with waybills in the car cards. As for the town of Whitehall. The entire town end to end is about 6 meters long (20ft). Due to its size, it takes 2 yard engineers to switch it, one engineer at each end with their own loco's working together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brendan, will be good to see the difference with waybills and how things go. I'm enjoying the learning curve for ops, and it's interesting thinking about how it can relate to the JL&T and how it will operate on a predominately switching orientated layout like ours.

    Jas...

    ReplyDelete