Favourite Photos...

Favourite Photos...
Reading Lines GP35 #3647

Middletown, Pa

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Setting the ruling Grade...

So today was spent getting the initial grade set on the first turn of the helix and installing the blocks to set the ruling grade on the other loops.




It actually took a little time to get it consistent across the entire helix but I’m happy with it now. At this stage unless I can think of an easy way to install the all-thread rods I’ll be sticking with the timber blocks.



I made myself up a grade level by using a short spirit level with a piece of styrene rod which is 4mm (5/32") set at 200mm (7 7/8") along the level. So when the level showed “level” (the Bubble in between the lines) this meant the grade was set at 2%.




Next stage is to work on the transition from the finished layout level into the helix. The radius from the curved turnout is set at 24”R and then transitions into a 30”R section and then into the 28”R helix.



I have to also make a small notch out of the rear of the layout deck near the backdrop to given another 10mm (25/64") clearance for my high cube boxcars.  They fit now but to be safe I will be giving them a little more wiggle room.

Jas...

No comments:

Post a Comment